Required & Not Required
A permit is required for:
- Accessory structures including and sheds
- Additions to any structure, including decks and patios.
- Alarm systems (Electrical permit required for low voltage)
- Attached or detached garages
- Changes to an electrical system, including electric service upgrade
- Changes to the plumbing system
- Commercial telecommunications equipment including antennae and satellite dishes
- Concrete or Flat work (Including steps, porches, and patios) - call for verification of the proposed work (630) 368-5110
- Demolition of any structure or interior which involves any structural change or removal/disconnection to the electric, gas, plumbing or water.
- Driveways - Permits are required new driveways and removing and replacing. Sealcoating alone does not require a permit. Call for information and requirements at (630) 368-5101.
- Fences, dog runs, gates, and entry monuments
- HVAC Equipment, including new, replacement, and additional units and/or equipment
- Interior remodeling which involves any structural change or modification/addition to the plumbing or electric system
- Lawn sprinkler/irrigation systems
- New construction of residential, commercial, and office structures
- Office partitions
- Porches and decks
- Portable storage units, PODS, Etc., Ordinance G-861
- Replacing cabinets with structural alterations
- Roofing of any existing structure. Residential Roofing Requirements
- Signs - Sign Regulation Ordinance and Handicapped Sign Diagrams
- Swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas
- Temporary Uses - Permits are required for tents, portable generators, temporary signs, etc.
- Water heater replacement - gas
- Windows and doors New or Replacement - A permit is not required if only the glass pane is being replaced (e.g. fixing a broken window pane).
A permit is not required for:
- Changing cabinet faces or counter tops
- Changing ceiling tiles
- Changing existing light fixtures (If not being relocated)
- Changing existing plumbing fixtures (If not being relocated)
- Gutters, downspouts, and siding
- Normal installation of household appliances
- Painting, carpeting, tile, or hardwood floors
- Permit Exceptions
- Replacing cabinets with no structural alterations
- Tuck pointing