In light of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) the Village of Oak Brook Development Services Department will follow the procedures as listed below. These procedures are effective on March 23, 2020 and will be reassessed on April 7, 2020. Please call the General Number at 630-368-5101 for further information.
The Village of Oak Brook has adopted a temporary policy of limited contact with the public and adherence to social distancing as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH). The Development Services Department is not open to the public as a result and will remain closed until April 7, 2020.
In an effort to continue to provide some customer services, we will be processing building permits, plan reviews, conducting limited inspections and responding to telephone calls and emails.
This situation is constantly evolving and subject to change so we will continue to provide updates on our website at Village Website link.
Lobby Drop Box
A drop box is available at the north building entrance to the Butler Government Center (near the circle drive with flag poles). This drop box is being provided to leave your permit applications, building plans and other documents. We will be regularly checking the drop box throughout the business day and we will continue to review and process submitted materials.
Staff is in the office and can be contacted at 630-368-5101 if you have specific questions or would like to coordinate payment of a building permit fee. A check can either be mailed or placed in the drive up payment box near the east entrance (next to the USPS mailbox). No cash or credit card payments will be accepted at this time.
Temporary Inspection Protocol
When scheduling an inspection, Village staff will briefly explain the recently adopted social distancing policy. Our temporary inspection protocol is as follows:
- Inspections will not be scheduled for an occupied residential or commercial space.
- If you wish to request an inspection for an occupied space, we will direct you to a building inspector to determine if a photo/video submittal can be provided in lieu of an on-site inspection. No life safety related inspections can be conducted in this manner.
- Interior inspections of non-occupied residential or commercial spaces shall not be accompanied by any owner or contractor. If owner or contractor is onsite, they must wait in vehicle or outside while inspection is performed. Inspection results or items that need attention will be discussed outside, afterthe inspection, while maintaining a safe social distance from the owner or contractor.
- Outdoor inspections will be performed as long as a safe social distancing is adhered to by the owner or contractor. Inspection results or items that need attention will be discussed after the inspection is performed.
- Inspectors will verify and explain restrictions when scheduling inspection times with the owner or contractor. Inspectors will also ask if anyone on the job is or has been ill in the past 2 weeks. If so, the inspection will be rescheduled for a time as to be determined to be safe from any possible contact with anyone exposed to said illness.
Fire Prevention Bureau
Fire sprinkler, fire alarm and Ansul system plan submittals can also be placed in the drop box and will be distributed to Fire Prevention Bureau. For specific questions, please call the Fire Prevention Bureau at 630-368-5220 or Rose Kane, Administrative Coordinator at 630-368-5228 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always, building codes, permit applications/forms, licenses, staff contacts and other related information can be found on the Development Services portion of the Village website at the Development Services web pages
We encourage the public to visit our website for updates. You can also contact the Development Services Department directly at 630-368-5101 with questions.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Village’s Senior Permit Coordinator, Therese Gallivan at 630-368-5108 and email@example.com or Chief Building Official, Mark LaChappell at 630-368-5110 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your patience as we try to use care and caution in responding to the latest health concerns related to COVID-19 in order to properly protect our customers and staff.
We hope that this information is helpful. Stay safe!
When you Need a Permit
The Development Services Department for the Village of Oak Brook is responsible for issuing permits and assuring compliance with the Village zoning, building, electric, plumbing and property maintenance codes. Village residents and builders must obtain a building permit prior to beginning any project.
See when a permit required and not required. Note: this list is not comprehensive - to be sure that a permit is or is not required, Please contact the Development Services Department for verification (630) 368-5101.
Before & After Applying
To ensure the building permit process runs smoothly, it is advised that you contact the department prior to making the application to ascertain what the requirements are for the project you wish to undertake. Once your permit has been reviewed and is approved for pick-up, a member of the department will contact you.
With every approved permit, you will receive a permit card, which must be posted on the job or construction site along with any approved plans. As construction proceeds, you must call in for the required inspections to ensure that the project is built safely and is consistent with all Village codes and ordinances.