Miscellaneous Permit Information - FAQ's

Architect Seals (Illinois only) - Required, if the cost of the job exceeds $25,000, an architect's seal is required on each page. The first page must be signed and stamped. Business Licenses - Not required at this time.

Architectural Building Plan Requirements - Include all building and lot square footages - dimensions and scale should be on each drawing. Each page is to be stamped and sealed.

Commercial Building Permit Approvals - Oakbrook Shopping Center - Oak Brook Promenade - Clearwater - and other shopping centers/strip malls - Plans for work at Oakbrook Center, as well as many other shopping centers in the Village require a stamp of approval from mall/shopping center management on both sets of plans prior to submittal. If the stamp is missing, the plans will not be accepted.

Elevator Permits - Apply for an elevator permit through the permit portal.  Elevator drawings (2 sets),are to be sent directly to Elevator Inspection Services Inc., 745 McClintock Drive, Suite 235, Burr Ridge, IL 60527, Attention Frank Cervone for approval. His phone number is (630) 323-6541.

Food Handling - Any construction that involves food handling must receive approval from the DuPage County Health Dept. before the Development services Department will approve a permit. Call (630) 620-3350 for further information. (Commercial only) General Contractors Licenses - Not Required at this time.

JULIE - The following colors will be used by utility companies when marking the location of underground lines with either paint or flags or a combination of both:

UtilityFlag Color
Gas, Oil, Petroleum 
Proposed Excavation 
Reclaimed Water 
Communication, Telephone, Television
Temporary Survey

For more information, you can access the JULIE website

Privately Owned Lines

It is important to note that some service lines extending from the property easement to the house belong to the homeowners, and as such are considered privately owned. JULIE member companies do not locate privately installed lines or facilities such as house-to-garage or outbuildings, gas lights, gas grills, pool heaters, etc.

Sanitary Sewers: Sanitary sewers that serve individual homes or commercial properties are either maintained by the Flagg Creek Water Reclamation District - (630) 323-3299 or the Downers Grove Sanitary District - (630) 969-0664. If you should experience a sanitary backup and the problem occurs from within your home to five (5) feet beyond the foundation, a permit is required by the Village NOT the sanitary district; anything beyond five (5) feet is under the control and jurisdiction of the sanitary district. If you have any other concerns regarding sanitary service, you should call whichever district services your property.

Water Meter or Water Service - Contact the Public Works Department, (630) 368-5270.

Wells (Private)  - The DuPage County Health Department - Environmental Health Services must be notified prior to the release of any residential demolition or residential addition permit applications regarding wells. Call DuPage County at (630) 682-7400, ext. 7046 prior to submitting application.