Four homes within the Village have recently been the target of ruse burglaries. The offenders most often represent themselves as public utility employees and generally target senior citizens. They may make a reference to COVID-19 in explaining the reason they need to enter your home. The offenders most often operate in teams of two but may include as many as three.
The types of ruses relied upon include but are not limited to:
- A request to enter the home to check the water pressure.
- A request to service an electrical issue.
- A solicitation to provide home repairs, sealcoating or tree trimming.
- A request for the resident to accompany them to the backyard where they will explain a purported concern.
Typically, once the victim has been isolated the offender interacting with the homeowner will make contact with a second offender via cell phone or two-way radio.
A discussion will take place between the offenders in an unknown language and continue until the burglary is complete. The offender interacting with the homeowner will then abruptly leave.
- Do not allow a stranger to enter your home or remain on your property unless you have a scheduled service appointment.
- If you have any doubt as to the legitimacy of the claims made by any stranger at your door, please contact 911 immediately.
- A physical description of the offender and detailed description of any vehicle used will be extremely helpful in locating the individual.
Thank you and we appreciate your assistance in maintaining the safety of our community.